I have been dying to do this project for the longest time. I was always searching for the perfect dresser and I just hadn't found the right piece. Then this happened...
Yes, that is (WAS) our entertainment center.
I had to find something quick. I put out a desperate plea on Facebook asking if anyone had any kind of old dresser they would be willing to part with! A friend of mine responded and said that her neighbor had an old dresser she had been trying to get rid of. She only wanted $25 bucks for it. I said I would come get it! It was definitely not the nicest thing I had ever seen, but it had some great details. I loved the handles immediately and I already had a plan for it!
|It is a huge piece. Almost 72 inches long.|
I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it really well. I took the back off since it would make it easier for running cords and wires. I had already decided to take the top two drawers out so I could use those two areas for our cable box and DVD player. The spaces were uneven and I was worried about seeing the other drawers on the inside so I had some thin wood cut and boxed those two drawer spaces in. I used the wrong measurements when I went to home depot. Luckily, I have some wonderful friends who let me show up at their house at 10pm and re-cut my wood for me!
(Oh, I HATE sanding.) I don't sand anything unless its an imperfection. I know. Sounds crazy. But I have never sanded anything. I use this magic primer that works on any surface I have ever painted. You should try it on your next project. I used several coats of primer (3 I think). My original idea was white and grey. After painting the top grey, I didn't like it and decided to go with black instead.
I used Krylon glossy black spray paint to paint the handles. They turned out beautifully! The glossy black really popped against the white!
I use Olympic paint for everything. I live in an apartment and I paint inside most of the time. Olympic has the lowest odor compared to the other brands I've used, and it's super cheap. I did about 3 coats of the white on the bottom part of the dresser and the drawers. (If you plan on doing something like this, I recommend having a couple of small paint brushes on hand to get all the crevices and details really well.) I chose the color "Snow Storm".
I let it dry overnight and I used painters tape to tape around the top. Olympic didn't have a black that was "black enough" so I bought a sample jar of black paint made by Behr. It was like $3 bucks and it was more than enough. I used "Jet Black". After letting it dry overnight again, she was almost ready to go! I put my handles back on the drawers and put her all back together! I was actually amazed at how awesome it looked!
I could not be more pleased with how it turned out. I absolutely LOVE it. This is definitely my favorite project so far! The best part is that the whole project, including the dresser, was less than $50 dollars!
Here's the before and after together...
I would love to see what y'all have been working on, too! I will be catching up soon!
P.S. The blog is getting a makeover this week. I apologize in advance if things are out of whack for a little while!
Happy Monday, Y'all!
P.S. Go Follow my blog with Bloglovin!!